Dress Code and Lost & Found
Dress and Grooming BP 5132
The San Carlos School District Governing Board believes that appropriate dress and grooming contribute to a productive learning environment. The Board expects students to give proper attention to personal cleanliness and to wear clothes that are suitable for the school activities in which they participate. Students' clothing must not present a health or safety hazard or a distraction which would interfere with the educational process.
In addition, the following guidelines shall apply to all regular school activities:
- Shoes must be worn at all times. Sandals must have heel straps. "Flip-flops" or backless shoes or sandals are not acceptable.
- Clothing, jewelry and personal items (backpacks, gym bags, water bottles etc.) shall be free of writing, pictures or any other insignia which are crude, vulgar, profane or sexually suggestive, which bear drug, alcohol or tobacco company advertising, promotions and likenesses, or which advocate racial, ethnic or religious prejudice, or which depict/advocate violence or show images of weapons. All are prohibited.
- Hats, caps and other head coverings shall not be worn indoors.
- Clothes shall be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times. See-through or fishnet fabrics, halter tops, off-the-shoulder or low-cut tops, bare midriffs and skirts or shorts shorter than mid-thigh are prohibited.
- Hair shall be clean and neatly groomed. Hair may not be sprayed by any coloring that would drip when wet.
- Coaches and teachers may impose more stringent dress requirements to accommodate the special needs of certain sports and/or classes.
The manner in which students dress for school influences behavior in learning. Students are expected to come to school dressed in a manner that assures adequate modesty. Students and/or parents will receive a verbal reminder or parents called to bring appropriate clothes if a student comes to school in clothing that does not meet the district guidelines.
Students need to come to school with appropriate shoes for school activities. Sturdy, closed toed shoes are highly recommended for EVERYDAY, as students need to run, jump and play safely at recess, but are REQUIRED on P.E. days. Flips flops, loosely-fitted crocks and shoes with high heels are not allowed.
If a student comes to school not wearing appropriate shoes teachers are asked to have the child call home and ask for another pair be brought to school.
Lost and Found
Our San Carlos cooler mornings and warmer afternoons are the perfect conditions for an overabundant Lost & Found. Parents are strongly encouraged to label all clothing that can be removed. Students come to school in sweaters and jackets and then at the first recess at 10:00 those jackets and sweaters drop to the ground never to be picked up again until landing in the mountain of Lost & Found items near the glass entrance leading into the amphitheater. All unclaimed items will be bagged and donated to charity 3x/year. Parents are encouraged to visit the Lost & Found frequently to claim items.